Morro dos Pescadores, Rio de Janeiro

Friday, August 15, 2008

The Larger Truths

It been so long since my last posting you might get the idea I'm avoiding the subject of me, well surprise, you're right. Don't toot your own horn as my mother put to me in her soooo 19th century way . She was born in 1904, so technically she isn't 19th century, but since the last century didn't get rolling until 1914 , calling her 19th century is the larger truth.

Someone objects that there are no larger truths? Excellent! You're very perceptive, but the 19th century believed piously in larger truths, and that conviction was my mother's lasting bequest to me.

So, about me? Well, I believe larger truths are out there (You'd already figured that our, right!), and homo sapiens sapiens's (that's us, in spite of having been misnamed) mission on Earth is to find THEM. The 20th-century destroyed all those larger truth Western Civilization had built up in the last several hundred hears, to leave one single overarching larger truth: That there are no larger truths !.

Which is why the 21st is on its way to hell in a hand-basket.

Now, as coincidence would have it, that is also the worldview of Bob Kwadekarahds a.k.a. 'Kaddy', narrator-hero of my novel-in-progress DEATH ON A SLIDE: A Story of Murder and Music. 'Kaddy' plays trombone in a little band but finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation and, wouldn't you know it, he wants larger reasons.

1 comment:

Dalva M. Ferreira said...

Hi, Kendal... first, thank you very much for your visit to my blog. And please let me know about the progress of your book, OK? With fondest regards... Dalva.